Skip to main content

Brave New World: a Review

 


The two dystopian novels of the early 20th Century that set the standard for dystopian novels, were Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell, and Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It is interesting that neither author was primarily known science fiction writer.

I read Brave New World when I was in High school. It was not required reading. I just read it on my own to check a famous science fiction book off my list. I don’t think I got much out of it. I know I didn’t get much out of it, just the basic plot: A society where happiness is the only good. Everyone has sex with everyone else. A “savage” makes an appearance and it upsets the applecart. I doubt if I got much of the nuance or the humor. I definitely would not have gotten the Shakespeare references. In fact, there are a lot of references my 17-year-old self would not have gotten. I just finished reading it again. With age comes more understanding.

The compelling insight into this “Utopian” society comes from the outsider, in this case, the savage. John (the savage) was an accident. His mother had found herself stranded in the wilderness and pregnant, and was forced to give birth. Real birth. In a society where sex is as free and common as blades of grass in a field, the thought of an actual mother giving actual birth is considered pornographic. In fact, the word “mother” is not used in polite society. John is introduced to this civilized society, and at first, he is a novelty to the society as the society is a novelty to him. He becomes something of a celebrity. But soon, he rebels against it. He complains that all good literature has been banned. People are entertained by “feelies” (first there were movies, then there were talkies, I guess the next great step in Huxley’s mind was that there would be feelies). John says to The Controller. “Othello’s good. Othello’s better than those feelies.”

“Of course, it is,” the Controller agreed. “But that’s the price we have to pay for stability. You’ve got to choose between happiness and what people used to call high art.” Stability is the goal of this society. The Controller tells him, “The world’s stable now. People are happy; they get what they want, and never want what they can’t get.”

To us, the civilized society of Brave New World is a nightmare. Genetics are controlled. People are pigeonholed into predetermined classes that determine what kinds of jobs they are allowed to do. They are taught to distrust anyone from another class, and revere those of their own class. They are conditioned what to think and punished for thinking or acting outside the norm. There is no creativity, and no freedom of speech. Yet, they are by outward appearances, happy.

This book had to be shocking for the time it was written (1932). It was a world whose morals were turned upside down. Works of early science fiction often suffer to a modern reader; the ideas and even the writing styles are often dated. But this one holds up remarkably well. And of the two big Dystopian novels of that time, this one and Nineteen-Eighty-Four, Brave New World is much more fun to read.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...