Skip to main content

That's a Great Question!


 

I have been listening to a lot of radio interviews lately. There is one phrase that I have been hearing a lot. The interviewer will ask a question and then the interviewee will say “That’s a great question,” or some variant of “ that’s a good,” “great,” or “interesting question.” Are they trying to suck up to the person doing the interview? The subsequent answer usually shows me that in was not in fact a “great question.” It is usually a very average or obvious question. It seems to me the interviewee is just stalling for time while they think up a response.

I think it is sort of the equivalent of saying “uh” or “um” as your brain is stalling to catch up. One time my friends and I played a game where someone starts a story and then you are supposed to continue it as long as you can, but as soon as you say “uh” or “um,” you are done. Most of us only lasted about thirty or forty-five seconds or so (me worst of all). But my wife got on a roll and just kept going. I think we had to stop her after about five minutes or she would still be going. What does that say about her brain versus my brain? I haven’t a clue. Maybe her brain is more organized than mine, or maybe I am more impulsive and it gets me twisted in knots. On the other hand, Barrack Obama interrupts his speech with uh and um a lot, I mean, a lot (although sometimes he uses “aaaaaaaaand”). Yet, he seems like a reasonably organized fellow, so I don’t think I will stress about it too much.

Still, saying uh and um too much has a negative connotation. Maybe that’s why people shift to try to do something else like saying “that’s a great question.” It is happening so often that I am beginning to think that people are being coached to say it when they are formulating an answer. Maybe there is a TED Talk out there, giving such helpful advice. I suppose, just occasionally, the question asked might have been a great question, but that compliment has been so diluted through overuse to be meaningless. So, my recommendation would be, if you are ever interviewed, save that comment for when it is apt.

Star liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

Um . . . Maybe We Shouldn’t Be Here

                                                                                                                                               Art by Mollyroselee Way back in ancient times when I was in high school, I had a girlfriend. I lived in Eugene and she lived in a little community, about 10 miles away. Being as we were teenagers, finding places to “make-out” was high on our priorities. This was my first serious girlfriend and neither one of us were very experienced at having a relationship. Just to be clear, our make-out sessions did not advance to the ultimate step. But it was not easy to find a place to have some privacy. D...