Skip to main content

Iron Flame (review)

 



Iron Flame is the second book in the Empyrean series by Rebecca Yarros. The first book was The Fourth Wing. If I had to characterize this series, I would say it is a little like Harry Potter meets Game of Thrones. As incongruous as that pairing may sound, I think it works. But like the Game of Thrones books, this series is not for children.

Violet Sorrengail is a student at a military academy with dragons. Dragons are part of the training, but in this case it is more like the dragons are saying “how to train your humans”. In the first book we learned the dark secret that separates her group of friends from the rest of her classmates (from the rest of her country). But Violet is a scholar as well as a soldier, so she has to try to work out answers, not just solve them by brute force.

In this book, Violet and her frustrating love interest Xaden are walking a tightrope, trying to do what they can for the cause without alerting the leadership with what they know. They are also walking a tightrope of their own relationship. Some secrets cannot be shared, even with each other. There is also a villain who is so over the top that I started to wonder if he was faking his villainy (I won't tell you). 

I am having a hoot reading this series, though I should say that this is the second book in what will at least be a trilogy, and it suffers the same fate as most middle books in a series in that some things are left unresolved in the end. Still, it is satisfying enough for me to be eagerly awaiting book three. Now I just have to wait for Rebecca Yarros to write it.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

Um . . . Maybe We Shouldn’t Be Here

                                                                                                                                               Art by Mollyroselee Way back in ancient times when I was in high school, I had a girlfriend. I lived in Eugene and she lived in a little community, about 10 miles away. Being as we were teenagers, finding places to “make-out” was high on our priorities. This was my first serious girlfriend and neither one of us were very experienced at having a relationship. Just to be clear, our make-out sessions did not advance to the ultimate step. But it was not easy to find a place to have some privacy. D...