Skip to main content

The Book Life

 

I must confess that I was not a great reader as a kid. Once I had got through the children’s literature and started reading more adult like books, I would balk at reading anything too thick. I was an avid science fiction fan, but my entertainment came mostly from TV and movies. But I do remember reading Jules Verne at an early age. I read journey to the Center of the Earth, and From the Earth to the Moon. I think I tried to read 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, but it was pretty “thick” and I don’t think I made it very far. By age 11 or 12, I did not know much about contemporary science fiction. I only knew about the old classics (or things that they had made movies about).

As I got older, I would occasionally try something big and impressive. I read Frankenstein, and I confess I didn’t get much out of it my first time through. It was more like I was just reading it so I could say I read it. There were several books like that. In Junior High I read Catch-22 and there were a lot of parts that went right past me (except for the naughty bits).

By the time I got to college I had matured enough, or maybe my vocabulary had grown enough that I could now understand the tomes that I sped through or spurned in my younger days. Reading some of those books a second time, I got a lot more out of them. And now I graduated to other books, not necessarily important books, some of them were books no one had heard of, but I was reading them for fun, not just to tick one off a list, but because I enjoyed them. That was new to me; reading just for fun. From that point on. My reading became a passion.

Some years ago my wife and I were talking to a woman and one of us mentioned a book that we were reading. The woman went, “Ugh, I can’t stand reading. It’s so boring. Why would you read when you can just watch a movie?” Books offer an inner world that movies cannot, but clearly, there was no winning that argument with this woman. And yet, when I was fifteen, I might have said the same thing. And how many others in the world feel the same way in this age of instant gratification, where even classic movies are ”too slow” to keep the interest of some people. I count myself lucky that I learned better.


Star Liner

Comments

  1. Hi
    Thank you for writing this post
    I enjoyed it (It was my first English blog reading, and I had a little problem with some words, but I got help from Google Translate for them!)

    I can feel what you said in this post and my life was like this. but I liked fantasies more.
    when I was a child, I borrowed a book from our village's library, that was the third book of a series, named "Deltora Quest". I liked it a lot and I read it several times, cause in the library I didn't find any other books of the series. I thought about it a lot and I made other stories in my mind.
    Now, I like reading a lot, and I can't watch movies or series that much (like most of my friends or my family). I can't feel anything with TV shows at all! When someone asks me: "Why you read this much instead of watching the movies?" I don't have any good answer for them, but really I can't explain the way I live inside the books and their words!!!

    I hope you and your wife read a lot together and enjoy all of it.


    By the way, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea and Catch-22 didn't write in Italic as names of books, like other ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Trip Home

  My wife and I recently returned from a trip to New York to visit my son and his wife. What follows is an excerpt of my notes from that trip. Departure day. So we and the kids (adult kids) leave by 5:30 AM. These “kids” are night owls. They rarely wake before 10:00 if they don’t have to, so we appreciate the sacrifice. Daughter-in-Law (DIL) drove us the 30 minutes to the train station. Hugs and good-byes for her (we love DIL. DIL is an irresistible force). Son navigates us a route to the platform with fewer stairs than the way we came. We get a ticket and get on the train headed for the big city and Grand Central Station. I soon realize that this train is not an express train like the one we took coming out. Instead of taking a little over an hour like we did before, this one would take a little over an hour and a half. We stop at places with names like Cold Springs and Peekskill (on this trip we saw a lot of place names that ended in “kill” including Kaatskill, i.e. Catskill, and

That 70's Decade

  Can a decade become a caricature? My teen years were in the 1970’s and none of us who lived through the 70’s thought our decade was going to be a figure of fun. When you are a part of it, you don’t realize what people are going to make fun of later. I think there are two reasons why people snicker when the 70’s are mentioned: clothing styles and Disco. Both things could be called extensions of trends that started in the 60’s. When the hippy styles of the 60’s became more formalized for the dance floor, the result was (in hindsight) rather bizarre. They did not seem bizarre at the time. People following present fashion trends never understand that they are wearing something that will be laughed at in ten years. Yes, I did have a pair of bell-bottom blue jeans (are they making a comeback?) The mere mention of the 1970’s conjures up someone in a ridiculous pose wearing a disco suit. We who lived through the 70’s just went about our normal life. There were quite a lot of things that ha

Tyranny of the Masses

  I was listening to Benjamin Netanyahu on the radio. He was justifying his change in the law that removed power from the Israeli Supreme Court, saying that it was the will of the people. Majority rules. This made me think of “Tyranny of the masses,” a concept that notes: just because a majority of people are for something, that doesn’t make it right. I am sure you can think of historical examples where the people of a country supported a policy that was demonstrably wrong. When everything is completely governed by majority rule, the rights of the minority can be subverted by the majority. The framers of our American Constitution knew this, and tried to put in some checks and balances into our system of government. This was to guard against all forms of tyranny whether from a dictator, or from tyranny of the masses. One of those checks is that we have a representative government. The people themselves don’t pass laws, but instead elect representatives at the federal and local level t