Skip to main content

A Period of Adjustment

 

                                                                                              Picture by Joyce

When I was fifteen or so, my dad got a new job in a different city. Partway through the school-year I had to say goodbye to my friends and start over at a new school. I was dreading this pull away from the people and places I knew. I shouldn’t complain. Some kids go through this a lot. But it is especially hard when it is in the middle of the school-year. It is like starting your life over again. I went to my new classes and I immediately started getting the new-kid stares. That is not a good thing. I tried to blend in, but it is hard when you don’t know the ropes. It did not help that I had a teacher that I took a quick dislike to. He liked to snarl, and find fault, not the least encouraging. Why does a person like this become a teacher? Did he start out good and get worn down by life? Maybe he honestly believed that this was the best way to motivate. In any event, I dreaded his class. I also had some good teachers there, but the adjustment was rough. I had never received any grade lower than a C in my life, but that term I received two “I’s” (Incompletes). This was a school that did not believe in giving F’s so if a student would have earned an F, s/he got an incomplete. There was supposed to be further work the student could do to turn that into another grade, but if the student didn’t, the “I” turned into an “F”. For one of the classes, I did the work. For the bad teacher, I did not and accepted the only F I would ever get in my life.

In my old school, I was kind of in the “in” crowd. This was not because I was cool. I was definitely not cool. But I was friends with a cool kid, and he supported me no matter how annoying I could be. He greased the wheels for me. In the new school there was no wheel greasing. I was barely tolerated, a spot of dirt on one’s shoe. It was lonely.

Still in PE class another student came up to me and started talking. He was a recent transfer too and was also in need of a friend. He was kind of quiet and nerdy, not unlike me. As I had at my old school, I went out for the basketball team. The year before I had been a starter on the JV team. I was not the best shooter or all-around player, but I made up for it by being the fastest on the team and I could outjump anyone. Here at my new school, I had a coach who believed in motivation by yelling. It is exactly the kind of coaching style that works against me. It is anti-motivation. I stuck out the tryouts for a couple of weeks and by the end I was purposely tanking my chances. When the final roster of who made the team was posted, I was semi-relieved to find my name not on it. I am not saying I would have made the team if I had tried my best, but we will never know, thanks to the coach.

But in a couple of months despite a bad teacher and a bad coach, I was finding some sort of equilibrium at my new school. Then track season started. Unlike the basketball coach, I liked the track coach. He was knowledgeable, supportive, and encouraging (just like a coach or a teacher should be). I did well. Somehow, the very first meet of the season I broke the school record for the 100-yard dash. Now, all of a sudden, people wanted to be my friend. Yeah. But I preferred the friends I had made when I was a social pariah. I knew they had sticking power. 

Most teachers, coaches, and other role model for kids, are good. There is only the occasional bad apple. And maybe my bad apples weren’t as bad as I am making them out to be, but I was in a vulnerable place, and they didn’t help. I am not a person who usually gives up easily, but for that one class and the basketball team, I gave up. While I am to blame for my own failings, they were to blame too. The point is as adults we are all role models for kids at some point, and it does not take much to have a negative impact on a child (or a positive one). Act with care.

Star Liner

Comments

  1. Awe Our School years ! What strife and trusting Vulnerbility !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...