Skip to main content

Mickey 7 (review)

 


A couple of years ago I remember seeing the book Mickey 7 (by Edward Ashton) on bookshelves in the library, in bookstores, and other places. It seemed to be popular. I remember seeing it, but it didn’t generate any interest in me. Maybe I associated it with baseball. Mickey Mantle was the most prominent baseball player when I was growing up. I never really liked baseball. Or, maybe I associated it with the Toni Basil song “Mickey.” I never really liked that song. Maybe it was the cover? Whatever the reason, I never picked it up or even sought to see what it was about.

Then I heard someone talking about it, and thought I would give it a try. Okay, I liked it. The Mickey of the title is in a group of colonists trying to scratch out a living on a cold barren planet. Mickey has an unusual job. He has the job the no one should want. He is an “expendable.” His body and brain patterns have been fully recorded, and should he die (he definitely will die, and that is not a spoiler) a new body will be printed and his memories implanted and a new Mickey will emerge. Thus, expendables (there is only one on this colony) are given all the most dangerous jobs, the suicide missions. As you may have now guessed from the title, the Mickey we meet is the seventh iteration, or incarnation, or, edition and by now he has realized that this being an expendable business is no fun. Not only is there the dying over and over in gruesome ways, but the other members of the crew tend to give him a wide berth. Most of them consider him “other,” maybe not quite human. Does he even have a soul? There are religious factions that consider him an abomination, a useful abomination, but still an abomination.

He does have two friends that make it bearable, his friend Berto and his girlfriend Nasha. Berto is a bit of a scoundrel, but Nasha loves Mickey unconditionally, even if he is the seventh version of himself. When the crisis comes (and you know it will) Berto may not be much help, but we are confident that Nasha will stand by him.

When the idea of becoming an expendable is first pitched to him the image of immortality is presented to him. But is it immortality if you die and your memories are put into a new body?  If your consciousness comes to an end, what is that thing in the next body? Food for thought.

It is a decent story, but what I love most is the dark humor. It reminded me a bit of The Martian by Andy Weir and maybe even some hints of John Scalzi’s Redshirts. However much he is disrespected, Mickey seems an indominable spirit. He bends but doesn’t break. I see that Edward Ashton has written a sequel to Mickey 7. Bring it on.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...