Skip to main content

Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia (review)

 


What got me first was the cover: bright red with silver letters disclosing terrified eyes. Then there was the title: Silver Nitrate. I was intrigued. Then I saw that the author was Silvia Moreno-Garcia and that sealed the deal. I had to buy it. I have read a couple of books by her: Mexican Gothic, and The Daughter of Doctor Moreau, both of which I enjoyed. I guess you would classify these books as horror, but I would not call them really frightening reads, more like disturbing with a side of horror, yet with well-developed characters and plot. Is there such a genre as “literary horror?” Probably. There is a genre for just about everything. But that is how I think of her books, sort of high-class horror.

Silver nitrate was a type of movie film that was the standard until the 1950’s when safety film was introduced. Silver nitrate film was a superior product in many ways giving vivid projections to the screen. Unfortunately, silver nitrate film was extremely flammable and had a nasty habit of self-combusting, destroying the film and whatever or whoever else happened to be around.

Montserat and Tristan are the main characters. Montserat is a sound editor for a small film studio and Tristan is an actor. They are both down on their luck. Montserat, a woman trying to navigate the male dominated world of sound editing in Mexico in the 1990’s. Tristan had been in a car accident years ago which left him scarred and he was blamed for the death of a beloved actress, which had pretty much shut down his career.

Montserat and Tristan had been friends since childhood where she dragged him to every horror movie she could get into (she covered his eyes at the scary parts). She has always had an affinity for horror movies. I suspect Moreno-Garcia loved horror films as a child (as I did). This novel is in part a love letter to old horror movies.

But it is also a dark fantasy. Our two characters come into possession of a reel of film. The silver nitrate print is of an unfinished horror movie from the 1960’s that was thought to be lost. They run afoul of several parties trying to use magic associated with the film: NAZIs, cultists, egomaniacs, and weirdos. Yes, they are in deep doodoo. Both our main characters are flawed but intriguing. They find they have many enemies and few allies. You often hear the term “movie magic”  but here it is taken literally. And as silver is often associated with magic, what better medium to cast your spell on than silver nitrate film.

The web of intrigue converges on our heroes as the mystery of what is going on is slowly revealed. I didn’t want the story to end. Come to think of it, this novel would make a good horror flick. Maybe they should shoot it on silver nitrate film.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...