Skip to main content

Sinister Cinema

 


Last week I reviewed Silver Nitrate by Silvia Moreno-Garcia. It stirred up memories from my childhood when I, like the characters in the book, was hooked on horror movies. I may have mentioned this before, but I was a bit of a nerd as a kid. One of the ways this nerdom expressed itself was in the watching of old sci-fi or horror films. Not the newer ones with blood and gore splashed all over the screen, but we are talking about the films of the 30’s, 40’s, 50’s, and even some of the 60’s. Frankenstein, the Wolfman, The Mummy, Godzilla, the Hammer films, etal.

Every Saturday night at 11:30, I would watch a broadcast from Portland called Sinister Cinema. There you would find such classic old movies, along with not-so-classic movies, some of which were so bad that they were good. The show was hosted by Victor Ives, with an assist from a character named Ravenscroft who never spoke but looked like some sort of Igor inspired thing. Also, there was a character called Head, who was literally a disembodied head that floated around the set with the kind of special effects that a 1970’s local TV production could afford. Head did not speak, but he mouthed words, and once or twice I could almost swear that he mouthed a word that would not be allowed on broadcast TV.

The format of the show was that they showed two movies and sandwiched in-between the two would be a serial (Sinister Serial). The serial would be one of those old 15-minute-long episodes of a larger story. They were from the 30’s or 40’s, or 50’s: Flash Gordon, Radar men from the Moon, Zombies from the Stratosphere (yes, these are real titles. In fact, Zombies from the Stratosphere featured a very young Leonard Nimoy. I think he was a pointed-eared alien in that one too).

I watched it every Saturday night. I usually made it to the serial. To watch the second feature would mean staying up until about 3:00 AM, and I usually wasn’t up for that. Victor Ives was fun. He told us trivia about the movies and would make sarcastic jibes and funny comments about the lower quality offerings. I remember watching a Japanese Godzilla type film called Invasion of Astro-Monster, and Vic, reading the cast list rolled his eyes and shook his head as he read “. . .  Nick Adams?”

My viewership of Sinister Cinema lasted until I discovered a new obsession. In 1975 Saturday Night Live began. Once I discovered it, that was it for Sinister Cinema, because Saturday Night Live also started at 11:30 and I was hooked. It seems like Sinister Cinema went off the air not long after, so I was not the only one. There were only so many TV viewers watching anything at that hour. My guess is, that was the nail in the coffin for Sinister Cinema. Also, I was growing up. I was less enamored with the old horror films (I had seen them all anyway). But looking back, I still remember fondly those old films, even the bad ones.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...