Skip to main content

Read!

 


When I was in school, I think I liked the idea of reading, more than actual reading. There were a number of books I read because I wanted to impress myself that I had read them. I read Frankenstein, Catch-22, The Lord of the Rings, and others. I am not a fast reader. I can’t zip through a book like some people, but I tried to with these books. The result was that I did not get much out of them (other than the naughty bits in Catch-22). I checked them off my list, impressed with myself. But what were they about?

It wasn’t until I went to college and met my friend Vern, who instilled in me a love for reading, that my attitude changed. He introduced me to authors I had never read: Ursula K. LeGuin, Robert Heinlein, Walter M. Miller, James P. Hogan, and John Varley. His enthusiasm was infectious, and I found myself reading and actually enjoying the books. These books led me to new authors in the science fiction and fantasy realm.  Eventually I reread some of those earlier books and finding the depth of meaning between their covers. The world grew richer. I had a conversation with a woman once who said she never read books because they were too boring. She watched TV and movies. I thought, how sad. I have almost never seen a movie that grasped the richness and the feeling that one got from reading the book that it came from.

As an adult, I read a variety of genres. Nonfiction: history, science, biographies. Fiction: science fiction, fantasy, mystery, classics. I have even learned not to shy away from big books. War and Peace, which despite its length and the challenge of the Russian names, is a great book which I recommend. Read it for entertainment. Read it for elucidation. Don’t read it for prestige, because frankly, no one gives a crap if you’ve read War and Peace.  Read what works for you. I have read award-winning, highly regarded books that I loved, but also some of those were not so good. Just because critics liked it does not mean I will like it. To each their own.

But I think it is good for everyone to read, whatever they want to read. Even the silliest brain-candy of a book can expand your horizons. Reading can give you knowledge, but I think you can gain emotional knowledge too. It is good for the humanness of you. On the darker side, books have been used for nefarious purposes, to spread disinformation and propaganda. Books have also been political pawns, finding themselves banned in repressive regimes. I am not going to tell anybody what they should or shouldn’t read. I am just telling you to read.

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner

The Screaming Silence

  As I have mentioned, I worked for two seasons on the Spotted Owl Survey for the US Forest Service back in the day. This involved setting up stations around areas that were scheduled for timber harvesting to see if there were owls nesting there. We would look at a topographic map and see where we needed to put stations (usually along logging roads) so that we could get complete coverage of the area to be harvested. We would go out during the day and mark these stations with ribbons, then at night we would go to each station and “hoot” for ten minutes. If we did not get a response, we would move on to the next station and so on until we could be sure there were no spotted owls in the vicinity. This meant we were working at night in the woods. There is a lot of wildlife activity at night in the woods. It is not just owls, a fair number of wildlife are nocturnal. We saw coyotes, bobcats, cougars, bats, frogs, deer, elk, among other things. But it was not just seeing the wildlife, ...