When I am writing science fiction, sometimes I have to do
research to make sure what I am talking about makes sense scientifically. With
fantasy, you can pretty much make up any rules you want as long as they are
consistent. With science fiction, you should be grounded in the real world as
much as you can be. It is about getting the facts right. You should follow the
laws of physics. Or, if you are going to break one (it can only be one) there
has to be a logical reason for breaking it. It has to be scientifically
plausible.
My soon-to-be released Novella The Methane Sea takes
place on a planet with methane ice (solid) and methane lakes (liquid), and
methane in the atmosphere (gas). I had to look up the freezing point, melting
point and boiling point of methane (at something like standard pressure). Even
though I didn’t talk about those values in the story, I do talk about
temperature changes, and the methane does change from one state to another, so
I had to know what those values were so I wasn’t spouting off misinformation.
Notice I said, “at something like standard pressure.” Freezing points, melting
points and boiling points for all substances change as the air pressure
changes. This is why if you live at high altitude you have to boil your eggs
longer for them to be fully cooked. Water boils at a low temperature at high altitude
because the air pressure is lower. Also, in the story I gave the temperature
readings in degrees Kelvin which made sense for the environment it takes place
in, but most people don’t have any frame of reference for Kelvin degrees. I wanted
my readers to know what the Centigrade and Fahrenheit temperatures they equated
to. So, I looked up the conversion and included them in footnotes. I also made
my fictional planet with some similarities to some of the outer moons of our
solar system (Titan, Europa, Enceladus). So, it has an atmosphere rich in
nitrogen and methane with some ammonia mixed in.
I once wrote a short story called “Susurrations” (it
appeared in Daikaijuzine, March 2021). In this story there is a rocket
travelling to Saturn’s moon Titan. The rocket engines have the ability to push
the rocket at a constant acceleration of 0.2 G to the halfway point. Then it flipped
around and decelerated at 0.2 G for the rest of the trip. This gives the crew
the equivalent of 1/5th Earth gravity for most of the trip. But I
needed to know how long it would take to get to Titan accelerating and
decelerating at 0.2G. I reached out to my science fiction community on Facebook,
and several people pointed me to a formula for the calculation. The story isn’t
really about the acceleration or how long it takes to get there. These are just
side notes, but I wanted it to be accurate. You don’t want to take the reader
out of the story by making a false statement. Even though most readers would
not know the difference, some would (and I would).
I read a lot of nonfiction science just for my own
enjoyment and enlightenment. Doing such casual reading is a form of doing
research even if there is no goal in mind. Some of it is going to sit in a
little back pocket of my brain in case I should ever want it. I might not ever
use anything from the Carl Sagan book Cosmos, but I might someday. Who
knows? Or it is more likely that I will say to myself, I read something
about that . . . where was it? Maybe in one of Sagan’s books . . . I read a
lot of history too, which might come in handy if I ever write a time travel
story, though it is more likely that I will have to dig in and do some proper
research if I want specific events and dates.
Most of my writing does not require research, but when it
does, it is kind of fun and fulfilling to find the answers for myself.
Comments
Post a Comment