Skip to main content

Gamer?

 


I enjoy playing board games, but I am not really a serious gamer in the modern sense of the word. Serious gamers have their own lore, a catalogue of titles ready in their brain and a community of like-minded folk. But when I was in college my roommate Vern turned me on to SPI war games. Prior to this, my experience with war games consists of Risk, Battleship, checkers, and chess. SPI war games were about five levels above Risk. SPI stands for Simulation Publications Inc. This company was in existence from 1969 to 1982. They produced a great variety of war games which usually consisted of a map (some of which were multiple pages) and chits that represented individual units. Some of the games were based on historical battles and so the chits represented real units that fought in that battle, for example, one chit might represent the second battalion of the 506th regiment of the 101st Airborne Division. Sometimes the chits represented even smaller units than that. There were different kinds of chits for different types of units: Armor, Infantry, artillery, airborne, supply transports

Some of the games were based on fictional or hypothetical battles. We played one called The Next War which envisioned a Soviet invasion of Europe and NATO’s response. The map was three sheets and took up a large portion of my bedroom floor (we couldn’t figure out where else to play it because it was too big for any table). In order to make the game accurate, the rulebook was very complicated. Each turn consisted of many phases: there was an electronic warfare phase, an air war phase, a movement phase, an artillery phase, and a ground combat phase (I am probably forgetting some). Did I mention this was complicated? Both times we played this game, Vern was the Soviets and I was NATO. I am sorry to say that NATO got beat both times. The first time it took a couple of weeks for me to get beat (yes, it took that long to play this game). The second time I got slaughtered within a few days. In my defense, Vern was much more into military history and strategy than I was. Anytime Vern and I played one of these games, if I held him to a draw, I considered that a victory.

Another type of game that SPI made were simply fantasies. I still have a few of them including War of the Ring, and John Carter Warlord of Mars, The Creature that Ate Sheboygan (maybe the best title for a game ever!)

I suspect the complexity of the games were part of the reason that led to their downfall. The games had a loyal fan base, but they weren’t for everyone. Most people were not going to want to read a dissertation to figure out how to play a game. So, their fan base was not going to grow very fast.

Some of these games are now worth money. I have seen some of these games going for $400 or more on Ebay (at least, that is the asking price). I doubt if any of the games I still own would go for anywhere near that. I am going to hang onto them anyway. Partly from nostalgia, but mostly because I don’t think anyone has ever equaled SPI in developing these kind of games.

I still play games, though the games I play tend to be of a simpler variety. I haven’t pulled out an SPI game in years. Anyone want to play?

Star Liner

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu

My first experience with cyberpunk as a genre of science fiction was Neuromancer by William Gibson. Neuromancer was one of the early works that defined the cyberpunk genre. It was insanely influential. It won the Hugo Award, the Nebula Award, the Philip K. Dick Award. But for me, it just did not resonate. I had a hard time visualizing the concepts. It left a bad taste in my mouth for cyberpunk. I mostly avoided the genre. Then a couple of years ago I read Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson which is cyberpunk (although some people say it is a parody of cyberpunk). Whatever, I liked it. I recently picked up All That We See or Seem by Ken Liu and it immediately became apparent to me that this was cyberpunk. Julia Z is the main character, and I think this is going to be the start of a series following her. She is a hacker (hence cyberpunk). She has got herself in trouble and so she lives on the margins, barely making it. Then a lawyer asks her for her help. His wife has been kidnapped. The ...

Why Walls Don't Work

  At the peak of the Roman Empire, the empire stretched from the Persian Gulf to Brittain, from northern Africa to southern Germany. But the great conquering emperors like Trajan learned that conquering land was easy compared to holding on to it.   In fact, Trajan’s successor, Hadrian, was known for shrinking the empire and consolidating Trajan’s gains into a more defensible set of holdings. This made him not popular among his generals who wanted glory and spoils. But he understood if you stretch yourself too thin, you can wind up with nothing. To consolidate the Empire’s holdings in Brittain, he had a wall constructed from Solway Firth to the Tyne River. Construction began in the year 122 AD. The Empire had never been able to subdue the highland Scottish tribes, so this wall (Hadrian’s Wall) divided the “barbarians from the Romans.” It was a solid piece of engineering with forts and towers scattered along it to keep the “barbarians” out. Hadrian’s successor, Antonius Pius...

The Linear Nature of Time

    Go Go back Go back to the time before Before you did it Before they did it Before it was done to you Before the toast fell on the floor Before the catastrophe Before the mistake Before time’s scars Before   Go Go back Redeem it Rework it Fix it Go back   No you cannot Go back Star Liner